Skip to content
Click to Call
Southern Risk Associates

710 E Laurel Ave
Foley, AL 36535

Get Directions

Southern Risk Associates Blog

Am I Legally Required to Hold Recreational Insurance in Alabama?

At Southern Risk Associates in Foley, AL, we offer a range of different options for insurance coverage. From home insurance to recreational insurance, we do our best to cover all of the bases of our clients with the insurance policies they need. If you have an RV, motorhome, minibike, motorcycle, golf cart, or other recreational vehicle, you have probably considered insuring it with recreational insurance. 

In some cases, they may even be legally required by the state of Alabama to drive the vehicle. We’ll dive deeper into the legal requirements for recreational insurance in Alabama in the article below.

What is recreational insurance?

Recreational insurance is a type of insurance that covers “recreational” vehicles. While there is a broad range of vehicles that fall into this category, there are some ways to tell if your vehicle is recreational. If it’s used mostly for leisure instead of function, it’s probably a recreational vehicle. Some cars such as antique cars can also be covered by recreational insurance.

Am I Legally Required to Hold Recreational Insurance in Alabama?

In Alabama, the only legal requirement for vehicle insurance is liability insurance. It has to be at least $25,000 for death or bodily injury to one person; $50,000 for death or bodily injury to two or more persons; and $25,000 for damage or destruction of property, according to For recreational vehicle owners who drive their vehicles on public roads, this requirement applies. Even if you don’t drive your recreational vehicle on main roads, it’s still good to have recreational insurance. Since it covers liability and damage, it can provide a safety net.

Reach Out To Us

To see how our recreational insurance policies might be right for you, visit our team at Southern Risk Associates in Foley, AL!

Are There Any Age Limits For Recreational Insurance?

The cost of recreation insurance can be pretty steep, especially for a young driver, since insurers see them as an enormous risk. This is why as a young person in Foley, AL, you might want to stay under your parents’ recreational insurance for as long as possible. However, you are likely worried that are age limits for recreational insurance. 

Are There Any Age Limits For Recreational Insurance? 

1. There Are No Age Limits, but a Condition Exists

Firstly, you should know that you don’t have to worry because there are no age limits for recreational insurance. Therefore, you can enjoy being under your parent’s policy for as long as you want as long as you abide by the following condition; live full time in the same house as your parents. Generally, any recreational insurance providers will actually require that you share the same policy with your parents if you reside in the same house. This is because they assume that you will be driving your parent’s car regularly even if you don’t drive it that regularly.

2. What Happens if I Leave My Parents’ Home?

This is among the most common questions we at Southern Risk Associates get from our clients about recreational insurance and living arrangements. If you leave home, you can still be under your parent’s recreational insurance policy if you are still their dependent. For example, if you leave home to go to college, you are still dependent on your parents, and technically you still live with them. However, you can still opt to get your own recreational insurance. 

On the other hand, if you leave your parents’ home and stop being dependent on them, you should get your own recreational insurance. This is because your claim could be denied in case of an accident, even if you were driving your parents’ vehicle. 

Do you need more info on recreational insurance in Foley, AL? Contact us at Southern Risk Associates for trusted help.

Servicing States

  • Alabama
  • Mississippi
  • Georgia

Why Work With Us?

  • Locally owned and operated
  • Works with multiple carriers
  • Combines policies for best rates
  • Customer friendly services
  • Have access to your auto ID cards anytime!

Partner Carriers

  • American Modern
  • Amwins
  • Chubb
  • Guard Insurance
  • Liberty Mutual
  • National General
  • Openly
  • Orchid
  • Orion 180
  • Progressive
  • RPS
  • SafeCo
  • State Auto
  • Swyfft
  • Traveler's
  • Universal Property